FROM RIGA RADISSON TO ROUGH SLEEPING

OUT AND ABOUT IN ROTARY SOUTHEAST AND  GIBRALTAR


Hi there  everyone. Well the last few weeks have been busy and interesting. I have been promising a blog, so I do hope that you will read it. I am not an expert Blogger so please excuse the gaffs. I am sure you will point them out and I'll try to be a quick learner. Having been on intensive training to be a DG, which was held in Rainy Riga with all the other DGNs of my year, I thought I had better do as was promised and start my blog. The Latvia rain I soon found out was training for my Sleep-out.

SLEEP OUT- IN NOVEMBER     It was wet!!!!!


I am  trying to look comfortable and keen to spend the night out in a Bromley Graveyard in aid of The Bromley Shelter for the Homeless. A big thank you to all who sponsored my efforts. thanks to AG Mike Martineau who helped me struggle into my Bivvy Bag  (and then go home It had started to rain!!)  and thanks to President Keith Heard Orpington Crofton  for being one of the breakfast cookers. Very welcome. I looked a real wreck I am sure when I crawled in for my very welcome breakfast!


The night was long  and VERY VERY WET. I did not feel lonely  though, as the church  clock  chimed every hour. Guess it could have been worse. Might have been every 15 mins.All was a little better after midnight though!! We had a super meal prior to the sleep out. Thank you local restaurants Tamasha Indian Restaurant and Havel Turkish Restaurant We had entertainment too.

Volunteers are needed for Befrienders who will  keep an eye on the Guests during the summer months when the Shelter is not open. If you are local you may be able to help.

Thanks for organising Ed. Orpington Crofton Rotary are looking forward to cooking over the winter.




FIREWORKS with Chislehurst Club  - Its really good to join other  Rotary Clubs  as  a willing volunteer. You can learn a lot and have fun.




   











 Yes  DG Carol   was there too with Brian
 and their hats.   Brain is taking the photo.




It was great to support  the Chislehurst  Rotary Club team at their fireworks  event. Helping on the gate it seemed  that the 1000s  of  people arriving were  never ending!! I think 7000-8000 in all. I didn't count!!A super night and I have to say really well planned.  The briefing for volunteers was excellent... something to share across District!Well done Rtn Jan Ward and the rest of the Chislehurst. Rotary Team. there were so many thank yous from adults and children as they left the event. A good evening was had by all. Good to share the gate with volunteers from Sidcup Rotary too.


THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT LATER IN THE WEEK WITH OUR GLOBAL SCHOLARS.

They were very impressed!  They were  joined by their host Clubs, members of the Rotary Clubs of Bexley, Orpington Crofton, Ravensbourne and Beckenham. Thank you to Bob Stewart MP for Beckenham and Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Beckenham.He gave us a really interesting tour which ended with time on the terrace of the Houses of Parliament.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3 July 15 YES THERE WAS A MONKEY ON MY BALCONY AND I WAS STILL IN DISTRICT 1120

THE MAGIC OF DISNEY AND THE MAGIC OF ROTARY